Sunday, November 9, 2008

Criag Thompson Changed My Life

I just added Craig Thompson's blog to my list. I read some of his comments, a highly unusual activity for me, and came across one that was telling him all about how Blankets changed their life. I was thinking about the autobiography class I took last year and about how autobiographical authors make it seem like you're their best friend and have just confided in you their biggest secrets. But they aren't. Its a clever rouse. They make people, like the one who commented on Craig Thompson's blog, think they know the author, think they have gotten into a secret place in his head.
I can see this all causing terrible problems. Like stalkers.
Although, its true. A terribly personal, seemingly honest and complete work like Blankets can change people's lives. Its the human emotional connection we all share across culture, we recognize across the world. It can open up something in yourself that you didn't know was there. That you locked away years ago. And its understandable, when you find this special thing, you do have a connnection to the author. And you want them to know exactly how amazing it was that they opened up this thing inside you, and that thier book/blog/article changed your life.
Hey, it happened to me.

No comments: